Turkey-Stuffed Peppers with Rice and Chipotle Sauce
~2+ c chicken/vegetable stock
4 Poblano Peppers, halved and cored
1c Jasmine Rice (dry)
2 Yellow Onions, diced
2 Jalapeños, seeded & chopped
1 tbsp garlic powder
0.5 tbsp chili powder
0.5 tbsp cumin
1 lb Ground Turkey or chicken
28oz Crushed Tomatoes
0.5 teaspoon Chipotle Powder/smoked paprika
1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
4 tsp neutral oil
1. Combine garlic powder, chili powder and cumin in a small bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in middle position. Rub poblanos with a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet until soft, about 20 minutes.
3. Bring 2 cup stock to a boil in a small pot. Add rice to pot. Cover, lower heat, and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large oven safe pan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño (to taste). Cook, tossing, until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add 2 tsp spice mix and turkey, breaking up meat. Cook, tossing, until no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. In another small pot, stir together the tomatoes, remaining stock, remaining spice mix, and as much chipotle powder as you like. Season with salt and pepper. Place over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
6. Once rice is done cooking, add to pan with filling. Toss to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and chipotle powder if desired. Stuff poblanos with as much filling as will fit. Place in same pan, nestling in remaining unused filling.
7. Drizzle sauce over stuffed poblanos. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in oven until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. Divide stuffed poblanos and filling from pan between plates and serve.
Adapted from HelloFresh