Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake
FOR THE LEMON BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus a little extra for tossing the blueberries with)
1/2 cup almond flour (all purpose can be substituted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup blueberries (reserve 1/4 of these for topping during baking)
extra flour for tossing with the blueberries
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2– 1 3/4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
pinch of kosher salt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and line bottom and sides with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Wash and dry blueberries and toss lightly with flour. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, sugar and ricotta cheese. Use a mixer to beat on medium high speed for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs, one at a time. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla and almond extracts and beat to combine. Add the dry ingredients and fold the ingredients together with a spatula til just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with the reserved blueberries. Return to bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn it out onto a rack to cool completely. Allow to cool before drizzling with the glaze.
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
1. In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, lemon zest, pinch of salt and lemon juice. Add a little extra lemon juice if needed. The glaze is best if thick but add a touch extra lemon juice if needed to make it pourable.