• 3/4 cup (200 g) discarded sourdough starter stirred down
2 heaping tablespoons pesto
• 2 tablespoons (28 g) oil
• 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) fine sea salt
• 2 teaspoons sesami
• 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) salt for sprinkling on top
leave in oven to cool
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (162°C and 150 in turn) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt the butter in a mixing bowl and let cool.
2. Weigh the sourdough discard, dried herbs and salt into the bowl of melted butter and mix thoroughly until well combined. Use an off-set spatula to spread the mixture in a thin, even layer onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle the top with salt.
3. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and score the crackers. Bake for an additional 20-50 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown. Let cool completely before breaking into squares. (Oven temperatures vary, check the crackers after 20 minutes into baking to make sure they do not over bake. See notes.)
• Because these crackers are so thin, in some ovens they can brown quite quickly. I recommend checking them at the 20 minute mark the first time you bake them to make sure they do not over bake and burn. Adjust your baking time and temp accordingly!
• The discard can be used either, cold, right out of the fridge or at room temperature.
• Store in an air-tight container for up to one week at room temperature.
• Fresh herbs and grated hard cheeses can be added to create different flavors.
• Scoring the crackers is optional. The sheet can easily be broken into pieces after baking