1 can chickpeas (channa)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 small tomato, chopped finely
2 tsp (or more to taste) ginger garlic paste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp ghee
[to sauté and grind]
2-3 Roma tomatoes or a can of diced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp cumin seed
~ 2 tbsp of chickpeas from the can
Heat a wide bottomed pan with oil covering the bottom.
Add the ingredients under [to sauté and grind] except chickpeas:
toast seeds for 1 min
then tomato and onion and clove
Then cinnamon for last minute of cooking
and sauté until tomatoes are slightly mushy and raw smell leaves.
3. Transfer to blender, add the smaller amount of chickpeas, and grind it to a thick paste. Set aside.
4. In the same pot, add some oil and ginger garlic paste, and fry until raw smell leaves (about a minute). (This will spatter)
5. Add the onion and fry until transparent. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, and ground spices. Cook until raw smell leaves.
6. Add the blender paste, sauté and mix well until the powders are nicely coated with tomato and onion.
7. Add remaining chickpeas with 1/2 a can of water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes total. 10 minutes covered, then 5 minutes uncovered.
8. When it reaches desired consistency, trim off heat. Stir in the ghee. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Enjoy with naan and rice.