Hello Fresh Faves
Pub-Style Shepherd’s Pie with White Cheddar & Thyme Mashed P
50 minutestotal time
2 * 16 ounce Yukon Gold Potatoes
2 * 2.5 ounce Celery
2 * ¼ ounce Thyme
2 * 2 tablespoon Sour Cream
2 * 1.5 ounce Tomato Paste
2 * 1 tablespoon Flour
2 * ½ cup White Cheddar Cheese
2 * 3 ounce Carrot
2 * 1 unit Yellow Onion
2 * 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 * 10 ounce Ground Beef
2 * 2 unit Beef Stock Concentrate
2 * 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
2 * 2 tablespoon Butter
2 * Salt
2 * Pepper
• Adjust rack to top position and heat broiler to high. Wash and dry all produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Trim, peel, and halve carrot lengthwise; slice crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Finely dice celery. Halve, peel, and finely chop onion. Strip thyme leaves from stems; roughly chop leaves.
• Place potatoes in a medium pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot. • Mash potatoes with sour cream, 2 TBSP butter, and 1 tsp chopped thyme until smooth and creamy, adding splashes of water as needed. Season generously with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 3 TBSP butter.
• While potatoes cook, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably ovenproof, pan over medium-high heat. Add carrot; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. • Add celery, onion, and a large drizzle of oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until veggies are just tender, 5-7 minutes. • Stir in garlic powder and 2 tsp chopped thyme; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. • 4 SERVINGS: Use a large, preferably ovenproof, pan. • TIP: If veggies begin to brown too quickly, add a splash of water.
• Add beef* to pan with veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. • Add tomato paste and flour; cook, stirring, until thoroughly combined, 1 minute.
• Gradually pour ½ cup water into pan with beef mixture. Stir in stock concentrates and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is very thick, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. • Taste and season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use ¾ cup water. • TIP: If your pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer mixture now to a baking dish.
• Top beef filling with an even layer of mashed potatoes, leaving a gap around edge of pan. Evenly sprinkle with cheddar. • Broil on top rack until browned, 3-4 minutes. • Serve directly from pan. • TIP: Watch carefully to avoid burning.
50 minutestotal time