3 medium or 2 large onions finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup soften cream cheese
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Heat butter in pan over medium heat
2. Add onions and cook for 15 minutes until onions are soften. Stirring frequently to prevent burning.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium low and continue cooking for 30-45 minutes until onions are deeply brown and caramelized. Stirring frequently. Adding a tablespoon of water every so often to deglaze.
4. While onions are cooking mix sour cream, cream cheese and mayo thoroughly.
5. In the last 10 minutes of cooking add balsamic vinegar.
6. Remove onions from pan and allow to completely cool. Once cool mix into sour cream mixture.
it’s best to make this the night before to allow flavors to meld together. Taking your time on the onions to critical.