½ cup water
½ cup whole milk
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (see
How to Measure Flour Properly on page 20)
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
milk, butter, 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and the salt. Bring to a boil spoon to stir in the flour until well incorporated.
2. Return the pan over medium heat anure ontinue stiring for another
1½ to 2 minutes to release extra wile from the mixture and to partially cook the flour. The can. wil look smooth and a thin film vi
3. Transfer the dough to the bowl ofa stand r axer fited with the vhd
attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer and beat on medium speed for 1 minute to cool the mixture slightly. Beat in the eggs one at a time, allowing each to fully incorporate before adding the next, Once all the eggs have been added, use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the mixture for 1 minute, until the doughis smooth and forms a thick ribbon when you lift the whisk. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup of sugar and the cinnamon. Line a plate with a paper towel and set aside.
5. In a 5½-quart Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, add 1½ inches of the oil. Heat the oil until it registers 375°F (see Pro Tips & Tricks). Carefully drop the batter by the teaspoonful into the oil as close to the surface as possible so it doesn't splatter. (A second spoon can be helpful for scooting the batter into the oil.) Take care not to crowd the pot, or the temperature of the oil will drop and your donuts won't get nice and brown. You will most likely need to do this in three to four batches.
6. Fry the dough for about 4 minutes, turning the donuts over halfway through if they don't flip on their own, until they are golden brown on all sides. Use a strainer or slotted spoon to transfer the donuts to the prepared plate to soak up the extra oil and to cool for just a minute or two. Roll the warm donuts in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until well